Saturday, July 19, 2008

Waterfalls vs. The Gates


This past week in New York I explored The New York City Waterfalls installation by Olafur Eliasson. His series of freestanding waterfalls in the East River is the city's biggest public art project since Christo and Jeanne-Claude's "The Gates". I have to say this project wasn't nearly impressive as The Gates, which I was also lucky enough to witness the opening day of while visiting New York several years back. I guess I do not see enough of a real connection between the art and it's environment in this case.

This particular waterfall is the one under the Brooklyn Bridge (above) - there was one more to the right of it, and another closer to where I was standing (below)


There are 4 different waterfalls which are visible from multiple points around the city, and I took the entire day finding each waterfall for optimal viewing. I'd say the more interesting part of this was the adventure of finding them and interacting with the city, rather than the waterfalls themselves. Although I would have liked to see them when it was dark out... that may have been a bit more impressive.


The Gates had a much bigger impression on me, probably due to the scale of the installation and being able to experience them all at once. Equally impressive was the amount of material that went into the project: 5,390 tons of steel and 9,155 square meters of fabric, which was assembled in a 25,000 square foot Long Island facility, then shipped to Central Park. However, my favorite part of the project was actually the sketches they created, really beautiful.




No comments: