Sunday, October 26, 2008

SOMA Open Studios


Over the course of the past 7 or 8 years, I have been participating in Open Studios every year with mixed results. I have held it in my home and at various art studios/spaces which I've rented. Doing it on your own is difficult since many visitors seek a group venue, and moving around from year to year makes it hard to grow a "following". Finally two years ago I opened Clara Street Studios, found several talented and motivated individuals to share my vision with, and was able to create a venue that finally fulfilled my dream of creating an artist community of my own.


This weekend was SOMA Open Studios. We held it at our studio on Clara Street for the second year in a row and had an amazing turnout. We have been very fortunate to get 5 very talented artists together, as well as a huge gallery space for hanging our work. Even with the state of the economy what it is, there were twice as many people as we had last year, and I heard such positive feedback from our guests. It was so inspiring to finally have an impact and become a sought after venue in the South of Market community.

To everyone who made it out to support our work, the arts, our community and Open Studios, my sincerest thanks go out to you.

No comments: