Sunday, March 27, 2011

José Parlá: Walls, Diaries and Paintings


Last weekend I visited Bryce Wolkowitz Gallery in Chelsea and was blown away by the work of José Parlá. His work is an exciting blend of textures, colors, memories and experiences of urban landscapes. Inspiration comes from Istanbul, Havana, Tokyo and New York, to name a few - documenting accumulated memories and experiences of these places he's been.




The layers which each piece are composed of reveal newsprint, street art & posters, thick paint and graffiti. Each reminded me of an urban setting that I may have seen at one time or another, the many beautiful cities, walls and alley's I've stumbled upon. To simulate the experience even further, he even painted an installation in the hall of the gallery, as if you are traveling through an urban alleyway.



I suppose it makes sense that I am drawn to his work, as his paintings are certainly reminiscent of some of my favorite artists: Anselm Kiefer and Jackson Pollock.


No comments: